New Zealand Cycle Trails
The New Zealand Cycle Trail or “Nga Haerenga” was initially conceived in 2009. The NZ Cycle Trail includes the Great Rides of New Zealand which are principally off-road tracks and trails. The New Zealand Cycle Trail and the Great Rides show off the best of New Zealand’s spectacular countryside. With funding from both local communities and the national government, the New Zealand Cycle Trail is being expanded to include road touring routes for cyclists; allowing both overseas tourists and local New Zealanders the chance to discover the best of New Zealand by bicycle.
Also part of the New Zealand Cycle Trail network is the Molesworth Muster Trail on Molesworth Station in North Canterbury; where you cycle through a superb setting with remote valleys between glacial hill country.
Great Rides of New Zealand
Today the New Zealand Cycle Trail includes the following Great Rides
- Hawkes Bay Bike Trail through the vineyards and coastal towns of Hawkes Bay
- Otago Central Rail Trail, which was the original Great Ride and to a certain extent provided the spur to the development of this network.
- Great Taste Trail in the Nelson region
- Alps to Ocean Cycle Trail running from Mt Cook to Oamaru, and the longest continuous ride
- Queen Charlotte Track in the magnificent Marlborough Sounds
- Motu Trails starting near Rotorua in the North Island