Passports and Visas to New Zealand
Before you travel to New Zealand, please check that your passport is ready for the trip. Your passport must be:
- Valid for at least three months beyond the date you intend to leave the country. Australian passport holders for travel to New Zealand are exempt from this stipulation. If you are just visiting and using an Australian passport, then your passport should be valid until after your departure date from New Zealand to avoid any complications on return.
- Not damaged, defaced or excessively worn.
- Showing a visa or permit, if you require one.
Do you need a visa or permit from Australia?
Do you need a passport to go from Australia to New Zealand? You do not need a visa or permit to visit New Zealand if you are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport; or if you are an Australian resident with a current Australian permanent residence visa or a current Australian resident return visa. (Please Note: If you hold an Australian provisional or temporary residence visa, then you will need to obtain a visitor visa).
How long can you stay?
Citizens and permanent residents of Australia (who do not have certain criminal convictions) may visit, live, study and work in New Zealand indefinitely.
Currently travellers from more than 50 countries, including USA, Canada, Malaysia, Singapore and most EU Countries; do not require a Visitor's Visa for stays less than three months. You do require:
- A passport that is valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- An onward or return ticket to a country that you have permission to enter
- Sufficient money to support yourself during your stay - approximately NZ$1000 per month per person
- if you have stayed in New Zealand for up to three months previously you may need to apply for a visa
To find out if your country qualifies for a visa waiver, check out the Visa Free Countries of the New Zealand Immigration Service website, where you'll find a list of all eligible countries and other useful visa information. Your airline or nearest New Zealand Embassy will also be able to advise you if you require a visa.British citizens and other British passport holders who have evidence of the right to live permanently in the UK may be allowed to stay in New Zealand for up to six months.
Visitor's Visa Applications
If your country is not on the visa waiver list, or you wish to stay longer than three months, you will need to apply for a Visitor's Visa. You can download application forms from the Visitor Visa from the New Zealand Immigration Service website, or contact your nearest New Zealand Embassy.
If you are an Australian citizen, you can obtain an Australian Passport Application Form from the Australian Passports website, or from your local Australia Post office. Once the forms are received by the Passport Office, this normally takes 10 days to process. However you should allow a little more time than this to allow for Australia Post delivery.
If you need a passport faster than this, then you can use their Priority Processing Service. This service guarantees that an eligible applicant's passport will be ready for despatch within two working days of a passport office receiving everything it needs. There is a Process Fee for this service.
Existing Australian Passport Holders that is current, or has expired less than 24 months ago, can renew their passport online.
New Zealand Passports
If you are a New Zealand citizen living overseas. Australian or United Kingdom residents should contact the New Zealand Passport Office in Sydney or in London. Residents in any other country should contact their nearest New Zealand Embassy, High Commission or Consulate office.